Monday, July 9, 2007

Tyson goes Antibiotic Free

I am a Vegetarian, have been since 7th grade. My husband & kids still eat meat though, so I am very happy to see this today:


Tyson goes antibiotic free for fresh grocery chicken
Tyson Foods, the nation's largest producer of chicken, announced last month that it has begun to produce all of its fresh chicken free of antibiotics and is selling the chicken in grocery stores under a "Raised Without Antibiotics" label. An estimated 70 percent of all antibiotics used in the United States are regularly added to the feed of livestock and poultry that are not sick—a practice with serious consequences for our health. Bacteria that are constantly exposed to antibiotics develop antibiotic resistance. This means that when humans get sick from resistant bacteria, the antibiotics prescribed by doctors don't work.



UCS applauds Tyson's decision as a step in the right direction for public health. This announcement also presents a great opportunity for fast food-companies like Burger King to adopt strict antibiotic use policies for their meat suppliers. Take action now by signing our petition to fast-food companies!

2 comments:

Mom of 3 said...

I am extremely happy about this move. I wonder if this applies to their boxed chicken nuggets too? Or just the fresh chicken. I've been buying usda organic chicken and it's expensive!

Ginny said...

Yes it is expensive. I'm not sure if it would apply to that too. That would be awesome because my youngest loves those! I've already noticed the hormone changes in my soon to be 10 year old compared to me at that age, so I am glad Tyson is doing this!

noVae Clothing ~ Christmas in JULY - 3 days only!

noVae Clothing Christmas in July Sale Up to 91% off and over half of the items are under $5! Like this post ~   Subscribe in a reade...