Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Use plants to absorb toxins in your home

I found this really interesting and wanted to share. If you are trying to make your indoor air cleaner and reduce toxings, USE PLANTS!

  • If you want to offset the benzene from your gas stove, keep an English Ivy plant in your kitchen.
  • To capture a wide variety of chemicals, including TCE from new paint, benzene from new plastics, and formaldehyde from new cabinets & shelves, buy 2 - 3 chrysanthemum flowers.
  • Absorb formaldehyde outgassing from your pressboard office or computer furniture, keep a spider plant on or near your desk. Get a large easy to care for corn plant for the office, too. It will absorb formaldehyde from new paper, books, cardboard, and pressboard bookshelves.
  • If you have foam insulation or foam carpet pad or furniture, use a few azaleas.
  • Eliminate fumes from products, oils, gasoline and carbon monoxide in your garage by bringing several spider plants, English ivies and dracaenas on window sills, shelves or corners. Try to give a little sunshine. Another tip, try to keep garage door and/or windows open to ventilate whenever possible.
  • Indoor air pollution experts recommend one plant for every 100 feet.
  • Other powerful air-filtering plants are Chinese evergreens, golden pothos, Gerbera daisies, bamboo plants, dieffenbachias and peace lillies.

If you are interested in other ways of eliminating toxins from your house, check out Clean House Clean Planet.

3 comments:

Corey~living and loving said...

Great post. Very interesting. I killed all my plants when my daughter was born. I just couldn't remember to water them. ugh...
this has inspired me to get some new ones. Thanks!

Ginny said...

Funny, I did the same thing! I don't have a single plant in my house. After finding out about the benefits though I am getting some. I had a spider plant when I was younger & they are pretty easy to keep up. I think that is what my first plant will be!

Anonymous said...

hi great post, cheat bejeweled on facebook with this cheat check it out

[url=http://www.bejeweledcheat.info]bejeweled cheat[/url]

Amazon Prime for only $5.99 a Month for Qualifying EBT cardholders

Amazon has a unique program,  Prime Discounted Monthly Offering for qualifying EBT cardholders in the US, prime membership for only $5.99...