Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Time Travel Tuesday


Time to share your first job experience...
What was your first job experience?
Do you remember the first paycheck, starting salary?
Do you remember your first boss, coworkers?
What was your favorite task/least favorite task?
How did that job end?


Let's see, to be technical my first job was babysitting, but my first real job was at Sharkey's. It was a clothing store in the mall. I used to love it, so I applied there. I was 16 & in 10th grade. I got hired right away, the manager loved me :) I think I started out at 4.25 an hour. I loved the people I worked with and made lots of great friends. I had to help customers, ring up sales, fold tons of t-shirts & regular cleaning. This is kind of funny, my boss had to teach me how to sweep, I never had chores at home. I was great at sales which was surprising because I am VERY shy. I guess it was because I loved to shop & I loved clothes! The management made commission, so they hated working with me, lol. I had one male manager that would always stick me in back, so I wouldn't compete with his sales. The female management never minded me selling though. It worked out to my advantage to because when I was 17 I ended up being the youngest in the company ever promoted to management! I loved doing the nightly paperwork, so my managers would always let me do it while they straightened up, etc. Since I knew how to do everything, my manager stuck up for me with the owner & got me in. I think I got raised to 4.75 + commission. Isn't that funny?

Let's see the worst thing was all the folding. This store was one of those stores that sold tons of those funny saying t-shirts. We used to fold so many shirts it wasn't even funny.

I ended up leaving because one of my favorite managers offered me a management job at a hat store with better pay. It ended up being a bad decision though because that store went out of business. Plus she ended up hating the district manager & quitting right away & went back to Sharkey's. B*tch, LOL

Be sure to check out the fundraiser 50/50 Raffle that I am doing!

4 comments:

annie said...

I didn't put babysitting either, maybe because I never felt like I got paid :o)... I mostly babysat for a marykay director (who had the pink Cadillac) and she would pay me with a tube of lipstick... uh, thanks. Anyway, your first job sounds fun!
*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·’ * Annie *

Corey~living and loving said...

You surely must ha ve been realy responsible to be in management at such a young age. WAy to go!
Thanks for sharing.

Shannon **Gabi's Mom** said...

Good example of hard work paying off.

Nancy Face said...

Sounds like such a fun job...other than the folding, haha! Thanks for sharing your story! :D

Amazon Prime for only $5.99 a Month for Qualifying EBT cardholders

Amazon has a unique program,  Prime Discounted Monthly Offering for qualifying EBT cardholders in the US, prime membership for only $5.99...