Thursday, February 7, 2008

Book Review ~ His Dark Materials

I was originally going to do a review of each boo, but time has slipped by and now I am finished with the series, His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. It starts with the Golden Compass, then Subtle Knife and finishes with the Amber Spyglass. I truly enjoyed this series, way more then I ever would have imagined. I used to read fantasy book when I was younger, then turned to mystery. The only time I seem to pick up a fantasy book now is when there is a lot of hype on it. Which is the reason I found these books. I loved the idea of an Atheist author, so I had to grab these books right up.

In the epic trilogy His Dark Materials, Philip Pullman unlocks the door to worlds parallel to our own. Dæmons and winged creatures live side by side with humans, and a mysterious entity called Dust just might have the power to unite the universes--if it isn't destroyed first. The three books in Pullman's heroic fantasy series, published as mass-market paperbacks with new covers, are united here in one boxed set that includes The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass. Join Lyra, Pantalaimon, Will, and the rest as they embark on the most breathtaking, heartbreaking adventure of their lives. The fate of the universe is in their hands. (Ages 13 and older)


The Golden Compass introduces you to many of the characters and sets up the backdrop for the entire story line. Pullman does such an amazing job describing the characters and environment, you feel like you are Lyra's world. Watching the movie just added to it for me.

The Subtle Knife is my favorite of all 3. That is when Lyra meets Will & Dr. Malone. A lot of what happened in the first book makes more sense. Whenever I read a series, I always seem to like the one that gives the most information the best. That was how it was with Harry Potter as well, I believe it was the third book that gave all the backstory. After finishing the entire series, that book always stayed my favorite.

The third book I had a hard time reading, and it took me about a week and half. It wasn't because I didn't love it, it was because I knew it was coming to end. This book had a lot of surprises for me. The book was not how I imagined it at all. I thought with bringing in Dr. Malone she would be with Lyra & Will for most of the book. I loved that the book was nothing like I expected, it was very well written. The ending was very hard on me. I don't want to say anything and give it away. I will say all the hype over Lyra & Will kissing, etc was not that bad. I thought it was going to be worse, and a lot of kids reading it wouldn't even realize the depth of what they were reading. That part was needed for the series and ending.

Excellent books! Now I just have to get my hands on Lyra's Oxford.

Also wanted to add that I don't care what any body says, these books were not about killing God. It was a war against the authority that ruled the worlds. Yes there were angels and even talk of God, but really, it is a fantasy book. Being atheist, I loved it, but I think I would have enjoyed it years ago when I was Catholic as well. I think people take fictional books way to seriously. Have fun & enjoy a good story!

I traded all of my copies on Paperback swap, but if you are looking to purchase, you can find some good deals for it on ebay ~ His Dark Materials

No comments:

noVae Clothing ~ Christmas in JULY - 3 days only!

noVae Clothing Christmas in July Sale Up to 91% off and over half of the items are under $5! Like this post ~   Subscribe in a reade...