Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Review ~ Faerie Tale by Raymond E. Feist


I read Faerie Tale by Raymond E. Feist as one of my RIP III Challenge books. This will be a book that I will never forget. I've always loved books on Faerie/Fey, etc. I have never read one quite like this book though.
The book is about the Hastings family. They are native Californians with money. Phil the father is a successful screenwriter/book author and his wife Gloria is a retired actress. Phil has a college aged daughter, together they have twin boys - Sean & Patrick. For a change of pace, they move to upstate New York into a ramshackle, old house called Old Kessler Place or Earl King Hill on the outskirts of an enchanted woods. The entire family quickly become involved in ancient, Celtic magic and occult horror when they are lured into the world of some luminous elfin beings.
This book is considered Fantasy, many call it a horror. I do have to agree with that statement. Feist brings you to a terrifying faerie world that you will never forget. Besides a few corny lines, lover, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Even though a few times I almost put it down because it seemed a bit perverted. This one was harder then most books I read because so much of the terror involved little 8 year old boys. It was a good look at the various Celtic & Irish myths. My mothers side came from Ireland with my mom coming over from England. I know how terrified my Grandmother was of Leprechauns when she got very sick.
Bargain books under $2

Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

Nymeth said...

I have this on my challenge list...I'm looking forward to it even more now!

Carl V. said...

There seems to be a tendency towards a bit of 'perversion' in some of these dark fantasies...not sure what that is about. Not sure I want to know what that is about! LOL! I'm glad you stuck with it and ended up enjoying it. I am fairly certain I have read a Feist short story or two but have never read a novel.

Memory said...

I read this at least ten years ago and had a great time with it. I remember whipping through it quick as anything. I'm glad to hear you liked it!

Teal Marie Chimblo Fyrberg said...

Oooh! That sounds good. Nice review.

Thanks for visiting me:-)

http://blissfulbodyyoga.blogspot.com

noVae Clothing ~ Christmas in JULY - 3 days only!

noVae Clothing Christmas in July Sale Up to 91% off and over half of the items are under $5! Like this post ~   Subscribe in a reade...