Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Blog Action Day 2008 ~ Poverty

Blog Action Day is an annual nonprofit event that aims to unite the world’s bloggers, podcasters and videocasters, to post about the same issue on the same day. Our aim is to raise awareness and trigger a global discussion.

What is Poverty then? Poverty is hunger. Poverty is lack of shelter. Poverty is being sick and not being able to see a doctor. Poverty is not having access to school and not knowing how to read. Poverty is not having a job, is fear for the future, living one day at a time. Poverty is losing a child to illness brought about by unclean water. Poverty is powerlessness, lack of representation and freedom.

This issue means a lot to me, mainly because my family technically lives under the financial poverty guidelines. I try not to talk about it, but unfortunately we do. My husband struggles to find work, going weeks sometimes months without a job. When I had my second daughter I made the mistake of quitting work. Now I cannot find another job. I do things from home to make some money that keeps us going. When my husband is working, we hurry and catch up with bills. As soon as we are caught up, it seems work has stopped again. We try to give our girls a normal life, I sacrifice things for me so they can dance and have decent clothes. Luckily I have always loved to Bargain hunt, so I find great deals. I also have a supportive mother and father.

I wish I had some idea to help with poverty. If I did, we wouldn't be struggling with so much I guess. Blog Action day has a list of 88 Ways to take action against Poverty you should check out.

Some of the items on the list are pretty offensive in my opinion, but there are some great ideas. One thing I want to state is, it isn't always about the person being lazy. I get so tired of hearing things like that. In most cases, poor people work even harder. Everything is so much more of a struggle. You can't hire a maid, you do all your own cleaning. You usually cook from scratch because it is much cheaper then buying ready made. You hand wash your clothes because you do not have a washer/dryer, etc. You also have to deal with people not giving you a chance because you do have the nicest clothes or the newest car. You can be the hardest worker out there, but it doesn't always matter.

People need to stop judging Poverty. You don't know how a person got there. It could have been a wrong choice in life, not having the right connections to that "good" job, not being raised as well as you were, heck it could have happened just because of who your parents are. If you are born poor, the odds of staying poor are high.

A few ways to help poverty online ~

The Hunger Site ~ Just a simple click every day {be sure to check out the other sites in this network}
Play the Rice Game online ~ this game is addicting & a great cause

If you make donations of clothing/household items, consider looking for a family in need on Freecycle or Craigslist. Your items might get better use. I shop at thrift stores and I lot of times, the cost of the used items you can actually find cheaper on clearance brand new items or end of year sales. I know they do other programs to help homeless, etc so still a great choice and one I personally use for a lot of my donations.


Like this post ~

Subscribe in a reader

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Oh, wow...fantastic cause!

Hits home big time.

johnsmith said...

Next week, either right before or right on Blog Action Day, we’ll publish the huge list and you can Digg it and Stumble it and print it out and run through your neighborhood shouting it, and make a video of yourself doing it, and put the video on YouTube, and we can all feel the good vibrations
-------------------------

Kesha


Internet Marketing

Misty said...

this is a great post Ginny... you made some really good points. And it isn't always about laziness, but sometimes there are those who have an entitled attitude and play the victim, believing other people should bail them out all of the time. (my sister, for one) I know this isn't always the case, but I think it's those people (who are incidentally parasites on our welfare and SSI system) that taint the perception of the general public.

Nancy Murphy said...

Ginny -

Keep working hard at home! We all need to do our part to help others. We try to help when we can.

My favorite tip to help save money is make your own laundry soap. I posted it here on my website:

http://www.the-childrens-guide.com/children-going-green.html

I am looking forward to making my own dishwasher soap too. Not only will we save money but it is more natural.

Talk to you soon - Nancy

Amazon Prime for only $5.99 a Month for Qualifying EBT cardholders

Amazon has a unique program,  Prime Discounted Monthly Offering for qualifying EBT cardholders in the US, prime membership for only $5.99...