Friday, October 3, 2008

Homemade Halloween Costumes

We’re all feeling the squeeze from the economic downturn but that doesn’t have to mean cutting corners on family fun this Halloween. Craft magazine illustrates how to make fun and funky costumes for your kids with a visit to your recycling bin, sewing box or local craft store – much easier than standing in line at a crowded costume shop and a bit easier on the wallet, as well.

You can quickly and easily whip up these five amazing kiddy costumes using supplies you probably already have on hand, plus a bit of creativity. These custom-made outfits also have more staying power than most flimsy store-bought costumes, and you'll love how cheap and quick they are to make. Follow the links below for full instructions:

Bee: http://craftzine.com/halloweenkids/#bee

Monkey: http://craftzine.com/halloweenkids/#monkey

Lego: http://craftzine.com/halloweenkids/#lego

Sushi: http://craftzine.com/halloweenkids/#sushi

Pirate: http://craftzine.com/halloweenkids/#pirate


We are doing homemade for my 2nd grader this year. She is going to be an angel. I had wings & a halo from a Christmas photo shoot I did a few years ago already. Then she is wearing a cute white top, leotard & a homemade tutu. I'm not fully finished with the total costume, I will post a final picture when I have her try on the entire outfit. Hopefully it comes out cute!

Other years we have done quick costumes from around the house as well.

One year my daughter was a doll. She took in old Ballet costume, maryjane shoes, put her hair in pigtails & made rosy cheeks out of blush. She looked adorable!

Another time, just for going out to stay warm, she wore leopard print footed pajamas with leopard ears & tail. She stayed warm & looked cute. I think I found the pj's at a thrift store on top of that & if you are really pressed for cash, you can find ears at Dollar Stores.

Fairies are also very easy to do with leotard, tutu, wings & a wand.

Like this post ~

Subscribe in a reader

3 comments:

laura said...

I LOVE the leggo costume, really great. I'm going to forward this to all my friends with 3+ yo kids. Thanks!!

Misty said...

these are great Ginny! honestly... I've been wondering how we'd pull off a costume this year.

Fancy dress Ideas said...

Excellent Ideas for Homemade Halloween costumes, thanks for the tips.

I too have a blog on fancy dress ideas - always looking for more inspiration

thanks once again & happy Halloween!

noVae Clothing ~ Christmas in JULY - 3 days only!

noVae Clothing Christmas in July Sale Up to 91% off and over half of the items are under $5! Like this post ~   Subscribe in a reade...