Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Review ~ The Complete Idiot's Guide to Vegan Cooking


I became a Vegetarian in 7th grade. It was right after we had to dissect a frog to be exact. I was very into animal rights, and I was totally against the dissection. I was actually allowed to be a third partner with another group so that I wouldn't physically have to do anything to the frog. I just had to watch. The following year for pig dissection, I was allowed to sit alone in the cafeteria, I just had to fill out the paperwork by looking everything up. I was lucky to have an understanding and very cool science teacher!

Anyway, that same week my Aunt took me to Arby's. I was eating a roast beef sandwich, looked down & all I could picture were the frogs tissues. It totally looked the same. I stopped eating meat at that point on.

I'm super picky with food, so I continued to eat the whites of eggs, I stopped drinking milk right after I stopped the bottle & I have never been a huge fan of cheese. Even though I love it on Pizza :)

I've thought about going totally Vegan in the past, so was excited when I got to review The Complete Idiot's Guide to Vegan Cooking. This book is fantastic. There are so many reasons to go vegan including better health and nutrition, weight loss, green and sustainable living, and prevention of cruelty to animals. There are over 200 mouth-watering recipes in this book, that are all easy to follow. I loved the tips for converting meat and dairybased dishes into vegan ones. Those had to be my favorite parts of the book. With it being a Complete Idiot's Guide, the book is really easy to read. You can read from start to finish or flip through to the sections that interest you. The book begins with Vegan Basics, Morning Meal options, Teasers and Toppers, Lunch, Dinner and Sweets. If you are thinking of going Vegan part time or full time, this is a great starter book.

From Amazon ~ About the Author
Beverly Lynn Bennett is an experienced vegan chef, writer, and animal lover, and the author of the e-cookbook Eat Your Veggies!. Ray Sammartano is a musician, web developer, and long-time vegan cook who has devoted himself to spreading the vegan message for the past 15 years.
Photobucket

Like this post ~

Subscribe in a reader

3 comments:

Mommyhood is Thankless said...

This looks like something I would like to take a look at.

I tagged you.

http://mommyhoodisthankless.blogspot.com/2008/10/i-have-been-tagged.html

Robyn said...

Hey Ginny,
Fun blog!
Shoot me your address, so I can send you your prize from my giveaway!

CappyPrincess said...

Thanks for the heads up. As a friend to a vegetarian, I'm always looking for new recipes that we can both agree on for dinners together. I'll have to check this one out.

Amazon Prime for only $5.99 a Month for Qualifying EBT cardholders

Amazon has a unique program,  Prime Discounted Monthly Offering for qualifying EBT cardholders in the US, prime membership for only $5.99...