Thursday, November 6, 2008

AAGL Blog Tour


I am so proud to participate in the AAGL blog tour with Mom Central. This tour is designed for Women to get information regarding new procedures that have to deal with a Woman's Health which is something I am very passionate about.

Many women, especially women who have had kids, will experience heavy bleeding as well as other pelvic health conditions. You may find that your OBGYN recommends hysterectomy to solve a variety of issues around heavy periods. The frightening prospect of surgery leaves us relying on our doctors to advise the best course of action. In such a situation, however, we need to know as much information as possible to ensure we sign up for the best treatment option, and it may not be the first one your doctor recommends.

I remember when I was in 9th grade, I actually started my first day of school at my friends house. The reason, my mom was having a hysterectomy and couldn't take care of me. Of course being in 9th grade, I could take care of myself. However my mom and I both felt more comfortable having my friends mother make sure everything went ok. My mom had extremely heavy bleeding, and while she did not regret the surgery it had many negative outcomes. The doctor never properly put back together her stomach muscles, so she will always have a pouchy stomach. She also went through menopause in her mid-thirties, along with other issues.

Their are options now though regarding minimally invasive treatments for heavy bleeding as well as a number of other common pelvic health conditions - fibroids, stress urinary incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse. In fact, they are so common that one-third of women will experience one or more of these conditions in their lifetime due to a variety of factors - most commonly pregnancy and childbirth.

But, the good news is that there are treatment options for these conditions that do not require the traditional surgery, which frequently comes with a higher risk of complications and a longer healing process. Minimally invasive procedures, done quickly and relatively easily, usually require much less time to heal and there's a lot less pain, too. Yet many of us do not even know they exist, as we rely on information from our doctors who may suggest the outdated approaches because they lack the skill to perform the newer, less invasive ones or even because new endoscopic procedures bring less income to the doctor or hospital.

The US News & World reported that, out of the one in four women who receive hysterectomies, approximately 85% are still treated with traditional open abdominal surgical methods, despite the perfection of a decades old laparoscopic procedure that leaves the ovaries and cervix in place.

Welcome to AAGL

The AAGL vision is to serve women by advancing the safest and most efficacious diagnostic and therapeutic techniques that provide less invasive treatments for gynecologic conditions through integration of clinical practice, research, innovation, and dialogue.



Please take a few moments to check out the website and get some information on these important options for Women.

Like this post ~

Subscribe in a reader

1 comment:

sarah said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Sarah

http://www.thetreadmillguide.com

noVae Clothing ~ Christmas in JULY - 3 days only!

noVae Clothing Christmas in July Sale Up to 91% off and over half of the items are under $5! Like this post ~   Subscribe in a reade...