Saturday, December 13, 2008

Read Kiddo Read ~ Help your child foster a love of reading!


I am an avid reader, I have enjoyed reading all my life. My mom said that as soon as I could sit up, I would stare at books for hours. When I was 18 months, my mom told the doctor I enjoyed reading. The doctor thought she was nuts and told her "You know she can't really read" Obviously my mom knew that, she was just trying to point out I liked looking at books.

My kids have 100's of books, from every type. My 11 year old hates to read. It has been such a struggle for me to deal with that. Luckily, my 7 year old enjoys it, and she is well above her reading level in school. I don't think I could have dealt with two non-readers, lol.

My tween isn't alone though, many parents struggle with getting kids to realize reading is fun. In fact, according to the 2008 Kids and Family Reading Report by Yankelovich and Scholastic, despite 80% of parents wanting their kids to read for fun, most kids claim there aren’t enough really good books for their age group. James Patterson has taken this issue to heart. A father himself, he knows that one of the main obstacles for young readers is a lack of books kids can truly connect with, those rare stories that draw you in and keep you reading until the very last word. We can all remember the joy of a great book from our own childhood; begging to stay up ten more minutes to finish a chapter, then hiding under the covers with a flashlight to read “just one more.” Patterson has made it his mission to give this experience to children everywhere and instill in them a love of reading.

In order to give kids of all ages access to truly great books, James Patterson has started a wonderful site called Read Kiddo Read. The site covers picture books that you are still reading to your baby/toddler to advanced reader books. Each featured book, hand-selected by Patterson, includes a synopsis, related themes, quotes from critics, links to find the book in any number of locations (including local libraries), and even similar suggested reads. In addition, the website provides resources for finding book discounts and promotions, features interviews and contributions from authors and celebrities, and even allows members to connect with each other via a Ning community. Providing kids with a love of and appreciation for books gives them something that will remain with them throughout their lives, and this resource helps make that possible. Plus, if anyone can get even the most reluctant readers interested in great stories, it’s James Patterson.

Oh and if you are waiting patiently for the next Alex Cross novel, it is called Cross Country and is out now! You can read an interview with Al Roker. He spoke about Read Kiddo Read as well.

Thanks to Mother Talk for sharing this wonderful site!

Like this post ~

Subscribe in a reader

5 comments:

Doll Clothes Gal said...

Thanks for the site tip - my daughter is a huge reader and this is terrific.

Tony said...

Love to see people who are trying to encourage kids to read. It seems like such a long lost hobby, but it is a very important and useful hobby/skill.

Tony Peters
Author of, Kids on a Case: The Case of the Ten Grand Kidnapping
www.eloquentbooks.com/KidsOnACase.html

Nottinghamshire Notes said...

Here in Great Britain we have a problem with white boys being illiterate and generally uninterested in reading. Consequently I have started producing short, in the first person, stories aimed at boys 9 - 12.

'The Boy with the Monkey' is set during the Second World War when the Japanese over ran the Malay peninsular capturing all before them. The European men they sent to POW camps, but unsure what to do with the women, they marched them from place to place. One unfortunate group walked for two and half years. 80% died, but so did their guards, and sometimes groups ended up in the bizarre situation of being prisioners without jailors.

10 year old Lawrence is in such a group, and it falls to him to learn how to fish to keep the group alive. Having lost his mother and baby brother he has difficulties forming relationships, but he does fancy having one of the wild monkeys as a pet.

Currently only available as an e-book, a paperback version is planned for the spring.

http://www.eloquentbooks.com/TheBoyWithTheMonkey.html

Lisa C. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
max said...

I grew up as a reluctant reader. Now I write action-adventures & mysteries, especially for tween boys, that girls and boys hate to put down. My web site is at http://www.maxbooks.9k.com and my Books for Boys blog is at http://booksandboys.blogspot.com

I also have a short story in a new book called LAY UPS and LONG SHOTS, published by Darby Creek Publishing. It's a Junior Library Guild selection. I'm also featured in an article in the 2009 edition of Children's Writer Guide.

My other books are all ranked by Accelerated Reader

Max Elliot Anderson

Amazon Prime for only $5.99 a Month for Qualifying EBT cardholders

Amazon has a unique program,  Prime Discounted Monthly Offering for qualifying EBT cardholders in the US, prime membership for only $5.99...