Sunday, January 11, 2009

Review ~ Ironside by Holly Black


I read Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale last year, then picked up the next two books in the Holly Black series this year. If I could go back, I'd have read them all closer together because Valiant: A Modern Tale of Faerie through me off a bit. I'd have to say the third book ~ Ironside: A Modern Faery's Tale was my favorite. I tend to do that with trilogy type books though, I love the closure in the third or last book.

Ironside brings us back to the story of Kaye ~

In the realm of Faerie, the time has come for Roiben's coronation. Uneasy in the midst of the malevolent Unseelie Court, pixie Kaye is sure of only one thing -- her love for Roiben. But when Kaye, drunk on faerie wine, declares herself to Roiben, he sends her on a seemingly impossible quest. Now Kaye can't see or speak to Roiben unless she can find the one thing she knows doesn't exist: a faerie who can tell a lie.

Miserable and convinced she belongs nowhere, Kaye decides to tell her mother the truth -- that she is a changeling left in place of the human daughter stolen long ago. Her mother's shock and horror sends Kaye back to the world of Faerie to find her human counterpart and return her to Ironside. But once back in the faerie courts, Kaye finds herself a pawn in the games of Silarial, queen of the Seelie Court. Silarial wants Roiben's throne, and she will use Kaye, and any means necessary, to get it. In this game of wits and weapons, can a pixie outplay a queen?


I really enjoyed Ironside. I loved the Faery world that Black has created. I highly recommend this series if you enjoy books about Fairy. I would add to get all 3 books together and read them in a row. In my opinion it makes Valiant more enjoyable because Ironside ties in Tithe and Valiant in a way I didn't expect.


1 comment:

Mo from Unmainstream Mom Reads said...

Nice review! Ironside was my favorite of the series as well :)

Amazon Prime for only $5.99 a Month for Qualifying EBT cardholders

Amazon has a unique program,  Prime Discounted Monthly Offering for qualifying EBT cardholders in the US, prime membership for only $5.99...