Friday, January 9, 2009

Review ~ Valiant by Holly Black


I read Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale by Holly Black last year, and I enjoyed it. I've always loved stories of Faerie, but some of the adult ones are ... well too adult for my taste. I'm so glad through the book blogs, I have discovered reading young adult novels. I get the stories I enjoy with a muted tone.

My copy of Valiant: A Modern Tale of Faerie finally came in beginning of this year from the library. I thought it was a continuation of Tithe, but it is not.


When 17-year-old Valerie catches her boyfriend and her mother fooling around, she runs away to New York City. There she falls in with a small group of teens who live in the subway tunnels. But there is something more to their stories than that of normal street kids. When Valerie begins to notice odd things about the deliveries they make, and when she meets Ravus, a troll, she understands that there is an entire world that she has never known existed–the world of Faerie. Valerie and her friends begin to steal from Ravus's deliveries, using the Never that he provides to the faeries as a drug. But those who receive the deliveries are being found dead. Is Ravus the poisoner or could it be another of the fantastic creatures they have met?


I really loved reading Valiant. It is a powerful book for a teen to read. It isn't just a story of Modern Faerie, to me that was just an undertone of the book. The book is about betrayal, homelessness, addiction, alternative lifestyles, friendship and so much more. I would highly recommend this book, Holly Black did it again!

2 comments:

Mo from Unmainstream Mom Reads said...

Great review! I found that I liked Valiant more than Tithe, and Ironside more than both of them...so I think you'll really like Ironside as it brings the first two books together in a wonderful way.

Ginny said...

I'm half way through Ironside & I totally agree with you. I almost wish I read all 3 of them in a row.

Amazon Prime for only $5.99 a Month for Qualifying EBT cardholders

Amazon has a unique program,  Prime Discounted Monthly Offering for qualifying EBT cardholders in the US, prime membership for only $5.99...