Saturday, May 9, 2009

Learning CPR for Summer Safety ~ American Heart Association

With the weather finally warming up, I'm finally thinking about summer. School is almost over, yeah! The kids will be home all day, looking for things to do. We spend a lot of time swimming, going to the beach and to the park. I've been pulling out the beach towels and toys, making sure I have sunscreen and bathing suits. All common things to do to get ready for summer. One thing we might not think about though is what to do in an emergency.

The American Heart Association is doing something about that. The first week in June begins National CPR and AED Awareness Week. Mom Central has joined with the American Heart Association to raise awareness for all to get trained in this life-saving skill. We think it critical for parents to get trained in CPR so we can protect our families. By learning CPR we all make a small commitment that could save the life of someone we love.

As a mom, I know how busy life can be. I've found that the American Heart Association offers several options for learning CPR. In addition to traditional classroom courses, they offer a self-directed course, CPR Anytime. In just 22 minutes, you can learn CPR. The kit comes with an inflatable, reusable mannequin and instructional DVD. You can choose from an infant kit (for children under one year old) or child/adult kit. If you had prior CPR training but your skills have gotten rusty, now is your chance to brush up. The more you practice, the more automatic the skill will become. By starting a CPR program now, Moms get one step ahead of the game. When faced with an emergency, you will feel confident and know exactly what to do.

I have the adult kit and it is well worth the money (~$35). I missed CPR training in our health class, so I appreciate having this at home. I'm super shy, so practicing on a dummy in front of other embarrasses me. I'm so thankful to be able to learn how to perform CPR in the privacy of my own home!

Like this post ~

Subscribe in a reader

1 comment:

Rick said...

Hi Ginny,

I commend your CPR training recommendation for your readers. Much too often do I hear family members and friends of sudden cardiac arrest victims say that they wish they had taken a CPR course because it may have made a difference.

Just to add to your CPR Anytime promo which is a great program, many instructors also hold CPR Parties for friends and families.

Most instructors usually require 10 participants and will usually do the course in your home for about $20 per person. This is a great way to get your whole family certified.

A lot of people never heard of a CPR Party so I just wanted to throw that out there.

Great post! - Rick

Amazon Prime for only $5.99 a Month for Qualifying EBT cardholders

Amazon has a unique program,  Prime Discounted Monthly Offering for qualifying EBT cardholders in the US, prime membership for only $5.99...