Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Review ~ Katka by Stephen R. Meier

I had read a review on Katka awhile ago that I really enjoyed. The book sounded really good, so when I was actually asked to review it myself ~ I was thrilled. Normally I got asked to review books I had never heard of, so it was nice to get a chance at one already on my TBR pile :)

Katka is a novella by Stephen Meier. It is a gritty, edgy novel of greed, love, and swindles gone very wrong. When Gavin and his girlfriend team with her best friend Simona to pull a phony mail order bride scam in the Czech Republic, Gavin gets in way over his head in the high-stakes and dangerous business of selling wives. When Gavin talks Katka, his girlfriend, into becoming part of the merchandise, planning to bait-n-switch the client in the end, things go awry and Katka disappears with the client. Partnering with the jealous and volatile Simona, Gavin begins to lament this risky life he has chosen, but finds the money is something he can’t walk away from. Gavin’s doubts grow; the con begins to consume him, and he finds himself thinking of Katka, the fate he dealt her, and whether he can undo the biggest mistake of his life. Written with staccato grit and streetwise savvy, Katka reads like a Quentin Tarantino movie. Stephen Meier’s work will leave you begging for more.

Katka is a quick 108 page read. I would have had it done in one night if I didn't pick it up so late. I quickly finished it the very next day. I thoroughly enjoyed the story. I don't think I have read a book specific to mail order brides yet, so it was very interesting to me. The language is gritty, but that has never bothered me. It is also needed for this type book. I thoroughly enjoyed Katka and would recommend it.

About the Author
Stephen Ross Meier was born in Fort Sill, Oklahoma, the first of many places he would live worldwide. He received his Bachelors in English from Arizona State University. He currently resides in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Thank you to Tracee at Pump Up Your Book Promotion and Stephen R. Meier for giving me the opportunity to read this novella.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

noVae Clothing ~ Christmas in JULY - 3 days only!

noVae Clothing Christmas in July Sale Up to 91% off and over half of the items are under $5! Like this post ~   Subscribe in a reade...