American adults carried 8.5 billion lunches from home in 2007, according to NPD Group research, the most recent figure available. That number has surely climbed since the economy has headed south.
With the average packed lunch costing $3.25 , compared to eating lunch out at $8 to $10, there’s big savings by the end of a month’s worth of lunches.
When making lunches for your kids or yourself ~ Reaching for unhealthy solutions – such as highly processed products – now takes the same amount of time as reaching for healthier options from the fresh produce department.
Earthbound Farm has a spate of easy lunch solutions for health- and eco-conscious bagged lunch packers no matter where they eat their mid-day meal – from pre-school to the corner office. These lunch options are certified organic, fresh and ready to drop in a bag, bento box, tote or briefcase:
* Organic Apple Slices – These fresh, crunchy apple slices are the perfect size and ready to eat. (5 2oz bags for $3.99)
* Organic Mini-Peeled Carrots snack pack – (10 2oz bags for $2.99)
* Organic Carrot Dippers with Ranch Dressing – This perfect combination will help sneak in that serving of veggies at lunch (3 packs for $2.89)
* Grab & Go Salads: Caesar Salad, Mixed Baby Greens or Baby Spinach Kits ($3.69 a box and includes salad, dressing, topping, fork and the clamshell package can be used as a bowl)
* Organic Raisin snack packs – A sweet treat in a little box (6 1.5oz boxes for $2.99)
I was sent the Organic Apple slices and the Organic carrots to try out. It worked out nicely because I was able to grab a package to take with me when I worked the baseball games (raising money for dance). They were pre-packaged and sealed, so I could bring them into the baseball park. They were a great portion size, and the best part ~ super yummy & healthy!!!
I also let my kiddos have some. They loved the apple slices, and the girls quickly finished off my package. They said, just like McDonalds. Always a plus with kids right. I had read a study awhile back that if you put healthy food in McDonalds take out bag for your toddler they will eat more vs. the kids that had a plate of healthy food. Isn't that funny. If you ever struggle with feeding veggies, try using a McDonalds bag I guess.
Anyways, the Earthbound Farms products are found at your local grocery store, are affordable, easy to pack, organic and great tasting.
 The Journal Star. 4/29/09: http://www.journalstar.com/
Like this post ~