Monday, August 3, 2009

Review ~ Finger Linkin' Fifteen {Stephanie Plum}

I can't believe I didn't review this book yet. I really enjoyed the 15th installment in the Stephanie Plum series (Finger Lickin' Fifteen (Stephanie Plum Novels)). I actually thought it was better then some of the others. I got several laughs in the book, which is what I'm looking for.

I love Stephanie's crazy antics, I enjoy the back & forth between Joe & Ranger. I think Janet Evanovich came through with this one.

I was surprised to see so many low reviews on amazon. Here I thought this was one of the better ones. Oh well, I enjoyed it ~ what can I say. I do wish that Stephanie & Joe would just get together already though. I hope if Evanovich ends the series, she will get them together.

The latest Evanovich crime caper involves barbecue, decapitation, fire bombs, and fiery temptation for bail bondsman Stephanie Plum. Lorelei King delivers this light fiction with gusto, missing none of the humor, whether broad or subtle. Her version of Stephanie's smoldering boss, Ranger, would tempt the most virtuous Nancy Drew, while former hooker Lula sneaks into our hearts with her passion for donuts. Gramma Mazur's elderly voice comes across as squeaky and over-performed, but it's the only flaw in an otherwise entertaining production. King's comic timing suits the story, as does the laugh that's almost audible in her performance. Who else could make us giggle at a headless body in a morgue?

1 comment:

Ducks said...

I thought 15 was miles above 14. But then I think the menu from the Chinese restaurant down the street was miles above 14, so that isn't saying much.

I don't get the appeal of Morelli/Stephanie together. Perhaps that's why I haven't enjoyed the more recent books. There's just no zing, no passion. All of the conflicts introduced to keep them apart have been glossed over, like a couple that tries way too hard to pretend their aren't serious issues with their relationship. Maybe it's an age thing (I'm in my twenties and Evanovich is... not), but the 1950's era ideal of "if we don't talk about it, it does not exist" just bums me out. Big time.

The only redeeming part of this book, for me, was the hot dog scene. I actually did laugh out loud once there. But was it worth $30? That part is subjective, but for me, not really.

Amazon Prime for only $5.99 a Month for Qualifying EBT cardholders

Amazon has a unique program,  Prime Discounted Monthly Offering for qualifying EBT cardholders in the US, prime membership for only $5.99...