Thursday, August 19, 2010

My Teenage Were-Wolf by Lauren Kessler

What's more challenging in the life of a woman - being a teenager, or being the mother of a teenager?

When Lauren Kessler's daughter went from being a loving child who adored her mom, to a teenage werewolf who was embarrassed to be anywhere near her, Lauren needed to understand more about this relationship. As a reporter, she embedded herself in her daughter's life, in the 7th and 8th grade classrooms, at home, at the mall, at camp, for an 18 month mission to learn more about the culture of the young teenage girl in the twenty-first century.

Since I personally would never do that and I have a 9 year old and a 12 year old (next month 13), I happily agreed to review this book.  I try really hard to remember what it was like being that age, and most of the time I do remember.  However, it is still hard, even if you remember what it is like.  I was 19 when I had my oldest, and I find that sometimes I almost feel more like sisters then mom/daughter, in the way that we argue with each other mainly.  I was very intrigued by this book, and read through it quickly.

Kessler writes in a very light and witty style while tackling a serious subject matter. If you have a daughter, this is a must read book.  It made me feel that I wasn't alone.  I will be honest, things have been super tough with my 12 year old.  This book really helped me a lot.  The tween and teenage years are so hard on everyone, any help is much appreciated to all involved!

Being a daughter myself, I also enjoyed the book from that end.  Honestly, I think most women will enjoy this book regardless of if you have your own daughter.  It is just a great read that really makes you look inside yourself.

This post was written for Family Review Network and My Teenage Werewolf who provided the complimentary product in exchange for my honest reviwew.Like this post ~
 Subscribe in a reader

No comments:

Amazon Prime for only $5.99 a Month for Qualifying EBT cardholders

Amazon has a unique program,  Prime Discounted Monthly Offering for qualifying EBT cardholders in the US, prime membership for only $5.99...